Thursday, October 29, 2009

To blog or not to blog...Why not?

Here it is: my inaugural blog post.

Do I think anyone will be interested? Most likely, no. So why create a blog, right?!

Like most things, it's more about me than anyone or anything else. Not in the selfish sense - though that certainly rears its ugly head more often than not - but in the "better out than in" sense. I figure it's better to get the many unrelated (and often insane) thoughts out of my head rather than allowing them to live therein "rent free."

Admittedly, most of my thoughts are of no consequence whatsoever to another- let alone me. On the other hand, I'm a true believer that there is power in shared experience. As such, perhaps my "shared experience" can prove powerful for someone- including me.

The term "powerful" in this case doesn't mean "having great power or strength" but rather "having an effect on people's feelings or thoughts." An "effect" need not be grand or emphatic to be, in fact, an "effect."

I often underestimate the many small, cumulative effects in my life that amount to a large effect somewhere down the road. Underestimated or not, though, these little effects are powerful in there own right and worthy of note.

That said, I suppose this online journal (aka blog) is my selfish attempt to sleuth out the little effects in my life in the hope of discovering their power and noteworthiness somewhere down the line. If someone else can relate or, better yet, shed some light on this process, then I welcome that shared experience.

2 comments:

  1. yeah, ditto, what you said, etc...

    I struggle between wanting to stay true to my writing and not worry about who is reading it and then going through phases where I feel the need to reach out and see who else is out there doing the same thing as me.

    When I read about all those bloggers who are capitalizing on the product industry I feel as though I am doing it all wrong.

    It's funny that we have switched locations. I must admit that I miss the warm nights in Mass. in the summer's and I miss the open fields of Vermont. I guess one always longs for where they came from.

    Snowmass is calling out to you with all of its snow. If you ever come back, look me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep writing--I think you've only scratched the surface!

    ReplyDelete

Something to say? Do tell...